The idea of an Alumni Association took shape in 1913. Nineteen members of the class of 1915 and eleven members of the class of 1914 formed the first Alumni Association and elected officers in 1915. In 1923, President Hale established an office of the Alumni on campus during the week of commencement. The Alumni Association was recognized. R.B.J. Campbell was elected Executive and Corresponding Secretary of the Office of Alumni. The constitution was written.
By 1928 Regional Vice Presidents had been established and Clarence Hayden Wilson was Regional Vice President for Middle Tennessee. A Proclamation issued by M.G. Ferguson, President of the Alumni Association, declaring the 28th day of November as Homecoming Day in 1928 and Thanksgiving Day for subsequent years.
The purpose of the organization is as follows:
- To further the interest of the University, by promoting fellowship among alumni to secure alumni interest and support.
- To stimulate and encourage continuous achievement among alumni so that they may bring honor to their Alma Mater.
- To stimulate interest among the best students as potential candidates for admission to the University.
- To develop and maintain a close relationship with the University and its alumni.